Exhibition Experts are youths ages 12-14 who are interested in fine art, interacting with the public during the summer months, and learning about museums from the inside out. Exhibition Experts at Fenimore Art Museum provide interactive experiences for visitors in a multitude of ways:
- Operating the museum’s Art Carts, which include a variety of hands-on and creative experiences for visitors. Art Carts are themed on photography, folk art, and natural resources used by American Indian cultures.
- Providing special guided tours of artworks in the museum that they research themselves and then help to construct into a tour with assistance from our team of Docents and Education staff
- Assisting with exhibition installation (hanging artworks, mounting labels, etc.) in our Community Gallery space
- Interested in art and history
- Desire to learn
- Ability to work as a team with staff and fellow Exhibition Experts
- Ability to communicate with museum visitors
- Excellent behavior and professional demeanor
- Transportation to and from the museum
Exhibition Experts are expected to assist for at least three hours a day, one day a week, for a total of sixteen days during July and August. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn life skills such as public speaking, research techniques, and customer service, and will prepare participants for future opportunities in the museum and public service fields.
- Please submit a one- to two-page letter expressing your interest and reasons for wanting to be an Exhibition Expert
- Letters must be neatly written or typed and include the date, applicant’s name, applicant’s age including date of birth, address, parents’ home or cell phone, and parents’ email
· Send your letter to Exhibition Experts Program, c/o Kevin Gray, Fenimore Art Museum, PO Box 800, Cooperstown, NY 13326, or email a Word document to email@example.com
- Letters of interest must be received by June 1, 2023. Top candidates will be scheduled for an interview and selections will be made by the end of
- A letter of reference from a teacher or non-guardian is not necessary but is encouraged.
- Candidates will be chosen based on their commitment, interest, maturity, willingness to learn, and ease with the
- Applicants must have their guardians’ permission and reliable transportation to the museum
Please contact Kevin Gray, Manager of Arts Education, at (607)547-1510 or firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.