Edward Severin Clark had the Creamery built, along with the Main Barn and Herder’s Cottage, as part of his model dairy farm on this property from 1916-1918. The building was used as a creamery until Clark’s death in 1933. Stephen C. Clark, Edward’s brother, inherited the property and eventually offered the farm and buildings for the creation of The Farmers’ Museum.
Inside the Creamery, workers processed the milk produced by Clark’s large herd of Guernsey cows. They pasteurized and bottled the milk or processed it into butter on the first floor. The second floor served as living quarters for the manager. Creameries of this size, while once common, are no longer used. Milk is now shipped to facilities that can easily process large quantities.
The Creamery: One Building Many Uses
The Creamery building is located just past the Main Barn at the Farmers’ Museum. During its history as part of the museum, the building has served as a library, office space, and interpretive area. Currently, it serves as the offices of our education team. The large room in back of the creamery once housed a wallpaper manufactory but is now a classroom space for student programs.